Sunday, January 31, 2010

Firenze

Hello All!!

Around 8 on Friday, while packing and getting ready for bed, I looked out the window and to my surprise it was snowing in the PdG. 3:45 came way to early Saturday morning, even after I went to bed early Friday night. And at 4:05 while I was walking out the door to catch the taxi with to the train station Claire, Jamie, and Erika, there was around 2 inches of snow on the ground. It was beautiful!!!!!

We preceded to take a taxi, three trains (we got off at the wrong station in Firenze), but finally made it around 11! We dropped our bags and headed off into the city to find Sarah, Sara, and Paige. Finally meeting up with our group at the museum that housed Michelangelo's statue of David. Sarah and I admired his backside, which was beautifully sculpted, while we voiced our frustration about our travels.

After David, we ventured toward the Duomo. Rain fell but after the near freezing weather in Paderno, Florence seemed considerably warmer. We wandered the streets, and popped in and out of stores. Paige, Sarah, and I had wandered off from the rest of the group and all of a sudden I look up and see my Shannon (she's one of my best friends from KU who is studying abroad in Florence). I had tried getting in touch with her, but without a phone it had been rather difficult! Luckily it worked out in the end, and it was WONDERFUL to see her!!!!

Around 6 or 7, we headed back to the hotel to get ready for the night. One Cimbite (our nickname for any fellow Cimba students) had friends from Florence so they got us reservations at a restaurant for dinner. Jamie and I wanted to leave dinner earlier than the rest of the group, so we paid and left, heading to a discotheque called the Space bar. My newly acquired Italian came in handy when I popped into several hotels asking "Dove Space bar?" (Where is the space bar?)

When we found the club, Chelsea and Juliana (both friends of mine from KU) were already there! Chels and Jules had planned on going to Slovenia, but with the crazy train system had come to Florence instead! Many other fellow Cimbites had also come to Firenze and were at the Space bar! We danced the night away! The Cimba guys thankfully came to our rescue anytime Italians tried to get a little TOO friendly! Dancing normally isn't my favorite thing to do, but I have never had so much fun!

Sunday, we were completely wiped, but we wanted to see as much as we could before leaving the beautiful city. Luckily the day was gorgeous and sunny! Jamie and I climbed the Duomo tower, 400 and some steps! We definitely paid 6 euro to work out, but the pictures that we got were amazing!! We also hiked up a hill across the river from the city and got the best pictures from the trip. In the late afternoon the temperature dropped and we were a tad bit chilly, so we stopped in this little restaurant for a late lunch to warm up!

We were totally wiped on the trip home, but couldn't fall completely asleep because we had to change trains twice. Getting home last night was a total relief. It was my first trip where I didn't have my parents to rely on, but it has left me with a sense of accomplishment. I cannot wait to see what else is in store for me over the next 10 weeks!! I CANNOT WAIT!!

I got to see Shannon!!! This made my trip to Florence complete!!!



Jamie and I with fellow Cimbite boys at the Space bar!



Florence from across the river!



More soon!

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment